Greek Reporter has compiled a list of the most popular and interesting places to dive in 2021.
Diving is scuba diving with special equipment: scuba, mask and flippers. Dive prices depend on the season and location. As of June 2021 the average cost per dive is about €35.
The coastline of Greece extends over 16 000 km². There are international diving schools on the islands, whose certificates are recognized in almost every country in the world.
Top 6 islands for diving in Greece
1. The island of NearnKameni is an uninhabited volcanic island in the Aegean Sea, part of the Santorini group of islands. Divers come to see the marine life of the Aegean Searnand shipwrecks.
The most popular dive site is the waters where the steel passenger ship Santa Maria sank. The wreck is located at a depth of 18 meters, which is also suitable for beginners divers.
2. The island of Crete, Schinaria beach and the Elephant Cave. Crete is the largest island in Greece. About 2.5 million tourists visit the island every year. Schinaria beach is located in northern Crete. Divers dive from the shores of the island to see black fish, octopuses and morays. The water on the beach is clear and clean.
Elephant Cave was discovered in 1999. Bones of elephants and large breeds of deer were found in it. Divers can see the fossilized remains of an extinct species of elephant: teeth, vertebrae and one large tusk. There are also fascinating white and red stalactites in the cave.
3.The island of Mykonos is located in the central waters of the Aegean Sea. The island is more often chosen by fans of parties and nightclubs. But for divers to the southeast of the island are excursions to the wreck of the freighter “Anna II”. The ship is fully accessible for exploration, if desired, divers can get inside the cargo holds or crew quarters.
4. The island of Lesvos is the third largest island in Greece. On the northwest coast is the Mirmigi Reef, which is ideal for first dives: it starts at five meters deep, there is good visibility and no currents in the water. Drivers appreciate the reef for its scenic view and variety of marine life, from mullet to searndragonfish.
5. KearnIsland is a mountainous island with picturesque nature. Not far from the island in 1916 sunk the medical ship “Britannicus”. Because of the depth of the ship, only experienced divers are allowed to dive.
6. The island of Zakynthos, the wreck of the submarine Perseus and turtle island. The island of Zakynthos is located in the southern part of the Ionian Sea. Professional divers come to the island to go down to a depth of 52 meters and see the wreck of the British submarine, which sank during World War I.
For recreational divers, Turtle Island is a sanctuary that was created to protect the Loggerhead searnturtle. Parrot fish, flying fish, eels and octopuses can also be found near the island.
The Greek island of Zakynthos is distinguished by its snow-white beaches and clear waters of the Ionian Sea
On the island of Zakynthos the Loggerhead Turtle Sanctuary has been established, so many aquatic activities are forbidden. Diving is allowed with the guidance of instructors
How Russians can get to Greece in the summer of 2021
Greece allows anyone who has been vaccinated against or has had coronavirus or has a negative test result to enter the country.
Vaccinated Russians must present a vaccination certificate, issued no earlier than 14 days after receiving the second dose of vaccine. The certificate can be in English or Russian. Greece accepts Russians vaccinated with Sputnik V, CoviVac and EpiVacCorona vaccines.
Russians need a visa or other permission to stay in the country. Greek visa centers in Russia issue tourist visa in June 2021. They may suspend their work if the epidemiological situation worsens, as it was in 2020. The Greek government may also impose additional restrictions on entry or close borders altogether.
Greek citizens and residents have the right to enter their country at any time. The fastest way to become a Greek resident is to obtain a residence permit through the Greece Golden Visa investment program.
The minimum amount of investment is €250,000. It takes about three months to obtain a residence permit. It is not required to reside in Greece either before or after obtaining the status.
Participants of the residence permit program in Greece choose one of three investment options:
Buying real estate allows you to invest in a liquid asset. The investor owns the property for 5 years, during which time it is allowed to rent the property and receive income of 5-9% per annum. After 5 years the property can be sold and get back the money invested.
Immigrant Invest is a licensed agent of the residence permit program in Greece by investment. If you want to move to Greece, buy real estate and travel visa-free to Schengen, seek advice from experts in investment programs.