The couple have three children: daughters Ryana and Safiya and son Alikhan. The whole family lives in the capital of Kazakhstan, Nur-Sultan.
Ayzere and Amir thought about moving the whole family to a developed EU country with a high standard of living. They liked the warm climate, so the couple dreamed of settling in the south of France, Spain or Portugal.
- Ayzere, 52 years old - a citizen of Kazakhstan, professional psychologist and owner of a private psychological clinic
- Amir, 59 years old - a citizen of Kazakhstan, husband of Ayzere. Shareholder of several industrial companies
- Ryana, 29 years old - a citizen of Kazakhstan, daughter of Ayzere and Amir. Works in an oil and gas company, not married
- Alikhan, 24 years old - a citizen of Kazakhstan, the son of Ayzere and Amir. A full-time student at a university in Nur-Sultan
- Safiya, 12 years old - a citizen of Kazakhstan, daughter of Ayzere and Amir.
Ayzere and Amir wanted to receive an official status that would allow them to live in an EU country, e.g a residence permit, but there were also related tasks.
Firstly, Ayzere wanted to open a psychological center in a new place of residence.
Secondly, the issue of tax optimization is important for the couple. The couple did not want to pay income tax twice after the move in Kazakhstan and in the EU.
In addition, all family members, and particularly Ayzere, wanted to get freedom of visa-free travel to the EU countries. Ayzere pays a lot of attention to professional development, often attending conferences and seminars in EU countries. She regularly obtained tourist visas and counted the days so as not to violate the restrictions. Sometimes Ayzere did not have time to get a visa and missed an important event. Therefore, she wanted to receive a long-term travel document that would allow her to freely visit the EU countries without visas.
Ayzere studied the issue of emigration to the EU countries. She found out that there are citizenship and residency programs by investment. Participation in such programs is the easiest and fastest way to obtain official status for residence.
On February 3rd, 2020, Ayzere and Amir contacted Immigrant Invest to inquire about European investment programs. We consulted the couple and helped them to choose a solution for their family.
The main tasks of investors
Ayzere and Amir met with the lawyers of Immigrant Invest in the office in Nur-Sultan. The couple spoke about their wishes and plans.
Together we formulated 4 tasks to solve:
- Move the whole family to Western Europe.
- Get freedom of movement in the EU and Schengen countries.
- Business, study and work in the EU country selected.
- Get access to the services of European banks in order to carry out settlements on business and store savings.
- Retain the citizenship of Kazakhstan after obtaining a residence permit in Europe.
Our lawyers analyzed the situation and conducted a preliminary Due Diligence check. This allowed us to offer the spouses the most suitable programs: citizenship of Malta and Cyprus, permanent residence in Malta, residence permit in Portugal or a residence permit in Spain.
How to register adult children for the program
We immediately realized that depending on the program, the family will be represented by two or three investors. The number of main applicants is important as the cost of participation in the program depends on it.
Ryana is 29 years old, so due to her age she cannot participate in the program as a child of an investor. The investor can include in the application children up to a maximum of 28 years old under the terms of the Cyprus Citizenship Program. Under the terms of other programs, the age limit is even lower. Besides, Ryana is working. Under the terms of all programs, the child must be fully financially dependent on the investor. Therefore, Ryana could only be the main applicant. However, her father became her sponsor.
The couple's son Alikhan is 24 years old. For the Portugal residence permit program, children from 22 years old are best represented as the main applicant. Below we will explain why.
Number of main applicants for the investor's family, depending on the program
|Number of main applicants||Program|
|3 investors||Portugal residence permit|
|2 investors||Malta citizenship |
Permanent residence in Malta
Spain residence permit
Choosing an investment program
We calculated the cost of participation for the family and helped to compare the conditions for the programs of Cyprus, Malta, Spain and Portugal.
Citizenship programs made it possible to solve all the problems. But the cost of participating in the Cypriot citizenship program for one application is at least 2 million euros. Ayzere and Amir did not want to spend 4 million euros.
The costs of the Maltese citizenship program per application are about 1 million euros, of which 760 thousand are non-refundable investments. The couple were not prepared to lose 1.52 million euros for two applicants.
Therefore, we further compared the programs of permanent residence in Malta, residence permit in Spain and residence permit in Portugal. These programs require lower costs, and the status of permanent residence or residence permit is suitable for solving the problems of investors.
At comparable costs, Ayzere did not want to participate in the permanent residence program in Malta. She wanted to live on the mainland so that she could travel to another EU country by car at any time. So there were two programs: residence permit in Spain and residence permit in Portugal.
Ayzere and Amir wanted to obtain a residence permit for the purchase of residential real estate and both programs provided such an opportunity. The costs were the same: in both cases they needed to buy a property worth €500,000 per investor.
However, upon closer examination, the programs had their pros and cons, which influenced the couple’s choice.
Comparison of program conditions
|Condition||Spanish residence permit||Portuguese residence permit|
|Double taxation on income tax and global income tax||Yes||No|
|Tax incentives for program participants||No||Yes|
In case of changing a tax residence, an investor can receive preferential tax status for 10 years
|Perspective of citizenship||After 10 years at subject to residence in the country for 183 days a year||After 5 years, subject to residence in the country for 7 days a year|
|Recognition of second citizenship||No|
To obtain a Spanish passport, you must renounce the citizenship of another country
As a result, the couple chose Portugal; they were satisfied with the option with three applications. Moreover, the son wanted to enroll in a magistracy at one of the Portuguese universities.
The only thing that was uncomfortable for Ayzere and Amir was the fact that there are no direct flights from Portugal to Kazakhstan. However, they decided that this is a minor disadvantage against the background of the advantages.
- Investor and his spouse
- Children under 26 years old. Adult children should be dependent on the investor, be registered at the same address with the investor and be taught in a university full-time
- Parents over 65
How to get residency in Portugal: stages
- Preliminary Due Diligence at Immigrant Invest.
- Collecting documents, filling out questionnaires and signing government forms.
- Submission of application and documents to the Portuguese Immigration Service (SEF), registration for the submission of biometric data.
- Personal visit to SEF for fingerprinting.
- Investor application approval.
- Payment of the investment fee.
- Obtaining a residence permit card.
- From €500,000 – purchase of residential or commercial real estate
- From €350,000 – purchase of real estate for restoration in areas of cultural and historical significance
- From €350,000 – investments in research activities
- From €250,000 – investments in the preservation and restoration of cultural heritage Portugal
- From 1 million euros – transfer of capital to Portugal. For example, purchase of shares in Portuguese companies
- From €500,000 – purchase of shares in investment funds of Portugal.
- Opening a company in Portugal with the creation of 10 jobs
- From €350,000 – transfer of capital to create a company with at least 5 jobs
€5,340 – the cost of a residence permit card
Required to submit biometrics at SEF
Up to 6 months
Why the son of 24 years old participated in the program as an investor
Alikhan was 24 years old. He was a student and financially dependent on his parents, therefore he fitted the conditions of the program as a family member of the main investor.
However, Alikhan might have problems when renewing his residence permit card after 2 years. He will turn 26 and will not meet the conditions of the investment program.
As a result, Alikhan was able to obtain Portuguese citizenship not as a participant in the residence permit program by investment, but only by naturalization on a general basis. This is 10 years of waiting and the requirement for permanent residence in the country for at least 183 days a year.
Selecting properties and preparation of documents
The family wanted to live in a spacious house with a large plot and a swimming pool. The Portuguese residence permit program allows you to buy one property for all applicants. In this case, the share of each investor must be from €500,000. We have selected options worth 1.5 million euros.
At this stage, it turned out that it was more convenient for Ayzere to become the main applicant. She wanted to see the property in person. Amir was ready to entrust the examination to his wife. He did not want to fly to Portugal again before moving.
Amir was engaged in breeding elite horse breeds and at that moment was preparing animals for participation in important competitions. And the main applicant needs to choose a house, sign an agreement with a developer and open a bank account. Amir did not have time to do this. He asked his wife to take over the registration of the residence permit and the preparation of the move.
We started preparing documents for three applications:
- The main applicant is Ayzere, her husband Amir and her youngest daughter Safiya are participating in the program with her.
- The main applicant is Ryana, the eldest daughter, sponsored by Amir.
- The main applicant is the son Alikhan, the sponsor is Amir.
Investing in Portuguese real estate: selecting and buying property
The couple discussed the proposed house and chose two properties. Ayzere went to Portugal to personally inspect them. We helped organize the video broadcast of the inspections so that all family members could participate in choosing a future home.
The family liked the two-storey villa in the Algarve worth 1.7 million euros. The house was located in a resort area near the coast. The villa had four bedrooms, three bathrooms and a garage for three cars. There was a swimming pool and a covered terrace on the plot. Ayzere photographed the villa and returned to Kazakhstan to discuss the house with her husband and children.
A week later, Ayzere contacted us: the family decided to continue the search. The clients realized that the villa was too small for their large family as they needed at least five bedrooms, including a guest room and a garage for four parking spaces.
We selected suitable objects, and Ayzere flew to Portugal again. She and all the family members who watched the video broadcast of the inspection loved the large designer villa in Cascais worth 2.5 million euros.
A modern spacious villa located in the resort area of Cascais, 15 minutes from the ocean coast.
The villa is equipped with air conditioning and solar panels. The house has five bedrooms, four bathrooms and a children’s playroom.
The owners of the villa have at their disposal a terrace with a private pool, a large landscaped garden plot, and a garage for four cars.
The villa was removed from sale and we proceeded to checkout.
We helped Ayzere open an account in a Portuguese bank for payments under the program. To this account, Ayzere transferred an amount equal to the value of the property and the additional costs of the program.
The amount was reserved by the bank and transferred to the developer after signing the purchase and sale agreement. Ayzere’s share was €1,500,000, and the children’s shares were €500,000 for each.
Our lawyers checked the legal purity of the transaction. We received an extract from the register on the transfer of ownership of the villa and included it in the package of documents for participation in the program.
Fulfillment of the program conditions for Portugal residency by investment
While the family was buying the villa, we collected documents to apply to the Portuguese Immigration Service.
The collection of papers, their translation into Portuguese, notarization and apostille took two weeks.
Required documents for participation in the Portugal permanent residency by investment program:
- Police clearance certificates for all adult applicants.
- Confirming the source and the income of the investor. In this case, funds for program expenses were kept in the spouses' joint account in the bank of Kazakhstan. Ayzere had full access to the funds in this account for many years, so she could act as a main investor, without sponsorship from her husband.
- Marriage certificate. After marriage, Ayzere and Amir had different surnames. But this fact does not raise questions during verification, if there is an official document on the marriage.
- Birth certificates of children and a certificate from the university stating that Alikhan is a full-time student.
- A certified letter confirming that Amir is ready to sponsor and pay for participation in the program according to the applications of older children.
- Certificate of ownership transfer on real estate.
When everything was ready, we submitted family applications to SEF and got access to the electronic fingerprint queue. We immediately signed the family up to take biometrics at the office of the migration service.
On March 5th, 2020, the family arrived in Portugal to be fingerprinted. They managed to go through all the procedures before the borders were closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
After passing the biometrics, the family returned to Kazakhstan to await a decision from the program department. According to the experience of Immigrant Invest, the consideration of applications for obtaining a residence permit status under the program takes from four to six months.
On August 10th, 2020, we received a notification that the program department approved the family applications for residence permit cards. We immediately contacted Ayzere to inform them of the news. The spouses had to only pay the fee for the production of residence permit cards which was €5,340 per person.
The participation cost for investing in Portugal real estate in the Portuguese residence permit program for the family was 3 million euros. 2.5 million euros can be returned in five years.
Expenses for obtaining a residence permit in Portugal under three applications
(investor + spouse + child under 18)
|Investment in real estate (in shares)||€1,500,000||€500,000||€500,000|
|Transfer tax (8% of the property value)||€200,000|
|Stamp duty (0.8% of the property value)||€20,000|
|Application fee||€533 per each|
|Fee for the issuance of residence permit cards||€5,340 per each|
The result of cooperation for Portugal residency
On August 24th, 2020, we received residence permit cards for Amir and Ayzere’s family. We offered the transfer of documents to any convenient address for them. The clients gladly took this opportunity, because they were immersed in preparing for their future move.
New opportunities for holders of a residence permit in Portugal
Portuguese residence permit program by investment is an option for those who want to move to a developed country of the European Union.
Opportunities that resident status of this country opens up for investors:
- Moving to permanent residence in Portugal - a country with a stable economy and a high standard of living.
- Visa-free travel to the Schengen countries with a stay in any country up to 90 days every six months.
- The prospect of obtaining Portuguese citizenship after 5 years of maintaining resident status.
- Tax optimization: the ability to change tax residency and obtain preferential status for 10 years.
- Access to the services of European banks to settle business and store savings.
- The freedom to do business, work and study in Portugal.
The family prepared in advance for the move. Ayzere delegated the management of the clinic in Kazakhstan to her partner and deputy. The couple put their youngest daughter in a private British school in Portugal, and the eldest daughter began a remote job search. The son signed up for an online Portuguese course to prepare for his master's degree.
Ayzere and Amir flew to Portugal with their two daughters three days after receiving their residence permit cards. As residents of the country, they had the right to enter the territory of Portugal even in conditions of closed borders.
The family quickly settled in a new place. Ayzere is preparing to open her own medical center in Cascais, with the help of her eldest daughter Ryana. The youngest daughter of the couple went to a Portuguese school on September 1st, 2020. Now Ayzere and Amir are expecting a son: he plans to reunite with his family in the summer of 2021.