The main reason for Malta immmigration is a quick and relatively affordable move to one of the EU countries. For comparison, obtaining a residence permit, permanent residence or citizenship in France, Germany or The Netherlands is much more difficult.
Leading European countries have strict quotas for the issuance of residence permits and citizenship. Restrictions apply to residents of certain countries. The result is an unfair picture: refugees from Africa find it easier to move than wealthy people.
Therefore, the easiest way is to take advantage of government programs for investors. Malta has the widest selection of such programs: Malta Global Residence Program and Malta Permanent Residence Program. Wealthy people can get a residence permit, permanent residence or citizenship for special services in the field of direct investment.
How to immigrate to Malta in exchange for investment
The investor is a well-to-do person over 18 years old without any outstanding convictions and visa refusals. He can confirm the legality of income and his financial viability and is ready to fulfill the conditions of the program.
Aside from the investor, members of his family can also take part in the programs. This includes the spouse, children and parents. Children and parents must be financially dependent on the investor.
Family members who can obtain a status
|Status in Malta||Investor’s family members|
|Residence permit|| Spouse |
Children under 25
Brothers and sisters
|Permanent residence|| Spouse |
Children without age restrictions. Children over 18 years of age must not be married
Parents and grandparents
|Citizenship|| Spouse |
Children under 29 years old. Children over 18 must not be married
Parents over 55
The simplest conditions for a residence permit program: Permanent residence will be more costly. Citizenship is the leader regarding cost and complexity of registration.
Comparison of conditions for investors
|Malta Global Residence Programme||Residence permit|| Term: 3 to 4 months |
Cost of maintaining the status: €15,000+ per year
- Payment of a one-time administrative fee €6,000
- Rent of real estate worth from €8,750 per year or purchase of real estate worth from €220,000 €
- Annual payment of income tax at a rate of 15%, the minimum sum is €15,000; first payment upon registration of status
- Living in Malta is optional but you can not spend more than 183 days a year in other jurisdictions
|Malta Residence and Visa Programme Regulations||Permanent residence|| Term: 5 to 6 months |
- Payment of a one-time administrative fee of €40,000
- Rent of real estate worth from €10,000 per year or purchase of real estate worth from €300,000. After five years of maintaining the status, you can rent or purchase housing without any restrictions on value
- Two non-refundable contributions to the state fund. €28,000 or €58,000 depending on the rental or purchase of real estate. To a non-governmental non-profit organization — €2,000 €
- Assets worth from €500,000, of which, €150,000 are financial assets
- Living in Malta is optional
|Maltese Citizenship Act (Cap. 188)||Citizenship|| Term: from 14 months |
- Non-refundable contribution to the national fund €600,000, if the application for citizenship is planned to be submitted in 36 months. Or €750,000 if you plan to apply for citizenship in 12 months. Another €50,000 for each family member, except for the investor himself
- Rent of real estate worth from €16,000 per year or purchase of real estate worth from €700,000. After five years of maintaining the status, you can rent or purchase housing without any restrictions on value
- Charitable contribution of €10,000
- Eligibility Test for all family members over 18 years of age
- Living in Malta is optional
Other ways to immigrate to Malta
You can get a residence permit in Malta without investment but only an investment residence permit would not oblige you to live in Malta.
At the same time, for any type of residence permit, it is necessary to rent or purchase housing in order to indicate the registration address.
- Employment. A contract or job offer from a Maltese company is required
- Education at the university. A residence permit for students is issued on the basis of a study agreement concluded with the university.
- Family reunification. This type of residence permit can be obtained if the applicant’s spouse or other close relatives are citizens of Malta.
In a separate article, we listed all the ways to obtain a residence permit in Malta without investment.
It is difficult to obtain permanent residence or citizenship in Malta other than by investment. You can apply for permanent residency 6 years after the registration of the residence permit. After another 5 to 7 years, an application for citizenship should be submitted. The Immigration Department does not process investor applications on a first-come, first-served basis. It can take up to one or two years for a decision. On average, obtaining citizenship will take 10-12 years.
From the moment of obtaining a residence permit, it is necessary to comply with the requirement of residing in the country for at least 183 days a year. As a result of receiving a residence permit, the applicant becomes a tax resident of Malta.
Opportunities for Investors
Wealthy people invest in the economy of Malta in order to gain freedom of travel, develop international business and to find a favorable tax regime. Additionally, Maltese status allows you to enter the country even in conditions of closed borders.
Key benefits of Maltese statuses
|Residence permit in Malta||Permanent residence in Malta||Maltese Citizenship|
|Visa-free travel to the EU and Schengen states||Visiting more than 180 countries without visas, including the UK, USA and Japan|
|Opportunity to live, study and do business in Malta||Opportunity to live, work, study and do business in any country of the European Union|
|Lowest costs of obtaining status in Malta||Returnable investment in real estate|
|Income tax rate is only 15%||Registering a business in Malta and paying taxes at preferential rates|
|A safe haven in Malta with no residency obligations|
If you want to obtain a residence permit or citizenship of Malta, but cannot decide on the program, contact Immigrant Invest. Our experts will carefully study your situation and offer the best solution for your tasks. Immigrant Invest provides full legal support until the end of the return on investment — that is, within five years.