Choosing residency or citizenship for travel

One can get a residence permit, permanent residence or citizenship by investment. All these statuses give you the right to stay in the country of second residency or citizenship for as long as you wish. In addition, they provide various travel opportunities.

Let’s see which country and status is the best for travelling the world visa-free.

Material prepared by an expert

Frequently asked questions

  • Can I travel to the EU with a residence permit?

    With a residence permit of a EU country you can travel freely to other EU countries

  • Is residency the same as a visa?

    They are rather similar. A visa is a document that allows a foreigner to cross the border of a specific country or territory. It can be a non-immigrant and an immigrant. An immigrant visa is basically a residence permit that allows a foreigner to stay in the country for a long period, work or study there or perform other activities.

  • What is the best status for traveling?

    Citizenship is the best status for traveling as usually it allows you to enter more countries visa-free. For example, with Malta permanent residence you can visit only 27 countries of the Schengen Area without visas. At the same time, Maltese citizenship gives you an opportunity to freely visit 185 countries.

  • Do you need a travel visa if you have dual citizenship?

    That depends on the countries of your citizenship and on the country you would like to travel to. The stronger your passports are, the fewer countries will require you to have a travel visa.

    For example, if you have dual French-Italian citizenship you can travel to the USA and Australia without visas. But if you would like to travel to Bhutan with the same citizenship you would need to apply for a visa.

How to cross borders with two passports